DIY studies are interactive Bible studies designed to help you build an engaging relationship with God. These studies will teach you to use various tools like podcasts and videos to engage with the Bible in a way that best fits your learning style. These studies were originally created for teens, but can be helpful for anyone.
God can give us the courage to take on things that make us afraid. One thing that can be really scary is being yourself. Do you ever feel afraid that if you are honest about what you really think and feel, people might not like you or accept you? This study is about learning to have the courage from God to be honest about who you really are.
Write about it
In two minutes without stopping, describe a time you were really afraid.
In two minutes without stopping, describe the feeling of being afraid as vividly as you can.
The Messenger of the LORD appeared to Gideon and said, “The LORD is with you, brave man.”  Gideon responded, “Excuse me, sir! But if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where
are all the miracles our ancestors have told us about? Didn’t they say, ‘The LORD brought us out of Egypt?’ But now the LORD has abandoned us and has handed us over to Midian.”  The LORD turned to him and said, “You will rescue Israel from Midian with the strength you have. I am sending you.”
Judges 6:12-14 GW
Think about it
- God sees us as brave and chooses us because he believes we are brave. Clearly, though, Gideon didn’t feel the same. He doubted himself. Maybe you can relate?
- God saw Gideon differently than how Gideon saw himself.
- Q. What was a time someone believed in you when you didn’t believe in yourself?
- This is how God believes in us.
The LORD turned to him and said, “You will rescue Israel from Midian with the strength you have. I am
sending you.”  Gideon said to him, “Excuse me, sir! How can I rescue Israel? Look at my whole family. It’s the weakest one in Manasseh. And me? I’m the least important member of my family.”  The LORD replied, “I will be with you. You will defeat Midian as if it were only one man.”
Judges 6:14-15 GW
Think about it
- God didn’t just believe in Gideon–He promised a hopeful future, 100% guaranteed that Gideon would overcome all these fears. This was after Gideon shared all his reasons why he doubted the future would be good.
- God’s belief in us > all the reasons we doubt ourselves.
- He believes in us because he gave us the exact skills/personality/strengths/weaknesses to do big things!
- According to God, the insecurities we feel are not powerful enough to stop big, amazing things from happening.
Talk about it
- What is one area of your life you doubt can change?
- What is one area of your life that makes you afraid/insecure?
- Do you believe everyone has insecurities? Why or why not?
DIY For Further Study
POST-STUDY CHALLENGE: Remember, everyone has things that scare them. When we are vulnerable, we become closer to God and others.
- Go out with your written responses and try the TRUE prayer shown earlier.
- Choose 2 friends and share all the insecurities and sins that you wrote down earlier. Then ask them what insecurities they get scared to talk about (showing them parts of this study might help jog their thinking)!
- Check out this podcast where the topic is all about losing control and how it’s actually a good thing!
- Read this Bible study that starts turning the gears by asking a simple question: do you believe you can change?