- What’s your relationship with the truth?
- Do you love the truth? Hate it? Ignore it? Run from it?
- This Bible study will teach you how to embrace the truth and allow it to transform your life.
What is truth?
Sanctify them in the truth [set them apart for Your purposes, make them holy]; Your word is truth.
John 17:17 (AMP)
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”
John 14:6-7 (NIV)
- Truth is defined as “conformity with fact or reality.”
- Jesus says God’s Word is truth. And it sanctifies us by setting us apart to be holy and live with purpose – God’s purpose.
- The truth can be known. Jesus says he is the truth, so when we follow him we are living truth.
No one can get to know God unless he goes through Jesus. Jesus shows us the way to a relationship with God, which is following his teachings (truth) and living like him.
Do you value truth?
Embrace the truth and hold it close. Don’t let go of wisdom, instruction, and life-giving understanding.
Proverbs 23:23 (TPT)
Buy the truth and don’t sell it. Get wisdom, instruction and understanding as well.
Proverbs 23:23 (NIRV)
- How much do you value truth? The Bible says it’s worth buying. Would you be willing to pay someone to tell you the truth, because you want to know it and hear it that much?
- How do you respond to unexpected truth being told to you? How much do you seek after it, embrace it and hold onto it.
- Do you wait for people to tell you truth? Do you run from or ignore truth? Do you initiate honesty by telling the truth to people around you? How do you respond to the Bible?
Are you afraid of the truth?
19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.
John 3:19-21 (NIV)
- Why do people (including you) love darkness?
- Are you living in the light or in the darkness right now? Is there anything you are afraid to put into the light? Why?
- Decide to be courageous instead of afraid by telling truth and living in the light.
Embracing Truth Is Freeing
31 Jesus said to those Jews who believed in him, “When you continue to embrace all that I teach, you prove that you are my true followers. 32 For if you embrace the truth, it will release more freedom into your lives.”
John 8:31-33 (TPT)
- A true follower of Jesus embraces what he teaches as truth and therefore applies it and lives by it.
- Truth frees us from fear, living a double life, stress/anxiety, being enslaved to sin, worrying what people think, guilt and more.
- What will embracing and living by the truth free you from?
Responding To Truth Strengthens
22 Don’t just listen to the Word of Truth and not respond to it, for that is the essence of self-deception. So always let his Word become like poetry written and fulfilled by your life!
23 If you listen to the Word and don’t live out the message you hear, you become like the person who looks in the mirror of the Word to discover the reflection of his face in the beginning. 24 You perceive how God sees you in the mirror of the Word, but then you go out and forget your divine origin. 25 But those who set their gaze deeply into the perfecting law of liberty are fascinated by and respond to the truth they hear and are strengthened by it—they experience God’s blessing in all that they do!
James 1:22-25 (TPT)
- Hearing the truth is not enough. Responding to it is what changes our lives.
- You are deceived when you hear the Bible at church, in a Bible study or read it on your own, but do not respond to it by living it out.
- God promises that when you respond to it you will change, get stronger and be blessed in EVERYTHING!
4 Decisions To Embrace Truth
- Listen To The Truth – Read the Bible daily. Reading God’s Word will inspire, challenge and give you faith while driving out lies, negativity and fear.
- Believe The Truth – Believe God’s Word is true over your emotions, opinions and what others think.
- Tell The Truth – Be honest with a couple spiritual friends about any sin and everything you are afraid to put into the light. This will be tough, but freeing!
- Live The Truth – Do everything you can to apply what you read, not forgetting, but living it. Keep at it and your life with transform and inspire others to do the same.