DIY studies are interactive Bible studies designed to help you build an engaging relationship with God. These studies will teach you to use various tools like podcasts and videos to engage with the Bible in a way that best fits your learning style. These studies were originally created for teens, but can be helpful for anyone.
You can do this study online or download a workbook of the entire book of John.
We recommend reading or listening to about 3 chapters a day, but you want to consider what will help you get the most out of your reading. Think about what will be best for your own learning style.
Read John Chapter 7
After this, Jesus traveled around Galilee. He wanted to stay out of Judea, where the Jewish leaders were plotting his death. 2 But soon it was time for the Jewish Festival of Shelters, 3 and Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave here and go to Judea, where your followers can see your miracles! 4 You can’t become famous if you hide like this! If you can do such wonderful things, show yourself to the world!” 5 For even his brothers didn’t believe in him.
John 7:1-5 NLT
… Now keep reading Chapter 7 online or in your paper Bible.
*Note: If you are using a paper Bible, try:
- highlighting parts of the Scriptures that tell you something about who God is
- underlining parts of the Scriptures that you relate to.
Think About It
- Jesus is always reminding the disciples and people to look beyond what’s right in front of them.
- Jesus was a man of depth
- The more you learn about Jesus, the more you can learn about God.
- The people were divided about Jesus.
Listen to This
Write About It
- What would it look like for you to create a “sacred space”?
- Take some time to write your thoughts or notes from the reading or Bible study. you can use a journal, or write in the downloadable version of this study series.
Read John Chapter 8
Jesus returned to the Mount of Olives, 2 but early the next morning he was back again at the Temple. A crowd soon gathered, and he sat down and taught them. 3 As he was speaking, the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery. They put her in front of the crowd.
John 8:1-3 NLT
… Now keep reading Chapter 8 online or in your paper Bible.
- We learn about the judgment of sin in this chapter.
- How do the people respond to sin?
- How does God treat sin?
Draw It Out
Sketch, color, doodle this image, or create your own based on what you read!
Read John Chapter 9
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth.2 “Rabbi,” his disciples asked him, “why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?” 3 “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.
John 9:1-3 NLT
… Now keep reading Chapter 9 online or in your paper Bible.
Think About It
- Some challenges in our lives simply exist so that when we learn about and follow God, we can see his power more clearly.
- The Pharisees did not want to acknowledge Jesus’ power so instead, they decided to criticize and critique him.
- This video looks at multiple scriptures that describe God’s power.
- What verses do you find most interesting? Why?
Review and Reflect
What are you going to do differently this week to spend time with God?
DIY How to Start Praying
T.R.U.E. Prayer is an acronym that can help you start learning to pray.
T = Thanksgiving
- Write here the things you are grateful for so that you can pray about
R = Requests/Needs
- Write about things you need help with.
U = Uncovering Sin
- Write about the sins you see from the day before.
E = Emotions
- Write the top 3 emotions you felt yesterday and why.