Life often presents us with “opportunities” to learn to be calm. These opportunities can come in the form of challenges and stressful situations. In those moments, what overflows from you? Do you choose to take control or do you choose to remain calm?
With help from God and our friends, we can learn to be truly calm and build the lives God designed for us.
Pay Attention to God
As Jesus and the disciples continued on their journey, they came to a village where a woman welcomed Jesus into her home. Her name was Martha and she had a sister named Mary. Mary sat down attentively before the Master, absorbing every revelation he shared. But Martha became exasperated by finishing the numerous household chores in preparation for her guests, so she interrupted Jesus and said, “Lord, don’t you think it’s unfair that my sister left me to do all the work by myself? You should tell her to get up and help me.” The Lord answered her, “Martha, my beloved Martha. Why are you upset and troubled, pulled away by all these many distractions? Are they really that important? Mary has discovered the one thing most important by choosing to sit at my feet. She is undistracted, and I won’t take this privilege from her.”
Luke 10:38,40-42 TPT
- Martha was totally out of control! Exasperated, talking too much, interrupting Jesus … telling Jesus what to do … can you imagine? When our hearts, motives or desires are out of control, we try to control God, our circumstances and the people around us.
- Jesus told Martha she was “pulled away” by many distractions but Mary “sat attentively” in front of God, choosing what was “most important.” Mary chose to calmly pay attention to God.
- What are the “many distractions” that cause you to take control and stop paying attention to God?
Prayer Gives Us Peace
Let gentleness be seen in every relationship, for our Lord is ever near. Don’t be pulled in different directions or worried about a thing. Be saturated in prayer throughout each day, offering your faith-filled requests before God with overflowing gratitude. Tell him every detail of your life, then God’s wonderful peace that transcends human understanding, will make the answers known to you through Jesus Christ.
Philippians 4:5-7 TPT
- Choosing to pray daily and throughout each day is what produces calm energy in our lives and relationships.
- Gratitude in our relationship with God also produces calm that helps us be still to listen.
- When we are calm and reliant upon the peace that comes from prayer, then we are actually able to hear God, and his answers to the questions we have in our lives.
Control or Happiness?
Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found.
- We can think having control will make us happy. The Bible says walking along the path of God’s commands – practicing living out what the Bible says – is where we find happiness.
- Where do you need to let go of control and instead practice obeying the Bible, so that you can find real happiness?